Monday, October 25, 2010

What is that? Is that a Match? I think it is!

So we have a match! An out of province match, but a match nonetheless.
Whee!

So I found this out last week, and this morning went for my cross-match blood test. Apparently they need as fresh as possible blood, so they wanted to get me in right before the courier was there.

Simple blood test, 6 yellow vials, a red and a lavender. A little woozy after, but thats more because of my distinct hatred of needles. They just bother me soo much!
But, the test has been done, away the blood goes and hopefully we will get a verbal confirmation within a week. I did run into my transplant coordinator in the lab, and she said that its normally 2 weeks to get results but because of my time crunch they have it flagged and will be able to give verbal confirmation hopefully within a week. Yay!

So from here, once we get the confirmation that I have passed the cross-match test, then I need to be accepted into the donor program of the recipient's province, and go through final cross-match tests which will likely be done in the few days prior to surgery. 

My transplant coordinator is getting a social worker involved so hopefully Hope Air will be able to fly myself and my hubby out, and I have a buddy in the place I'm going that I have already cleared being able to stay with. Yay! Hopefully if this all comes together we won't have to pay flights or accommodations out of pocket.

So now it really comes to crunch time at the office and at home to make sure that I have everything set up for the temp, and my guest room set up for continued and long-term use for when the family comes to stay to help take care of me.

Which brings me to a question for you guys: What are your support systems like? Did many people know about your donation? Who was there with you post-op? Do tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment