Friday, October 15, 2010

We are Go For Donation!

Thats right, I got the call, the team had Rounds, and I have been cleared for donation!
They are putting me in the local tissue bank to see what they can find, as well as in the National Registry for possibly getting involved in a paired exchange. How awesome is that?

To be honest I am relieved. I was worried that they would say 'no'. I was worried that they would look at me and say 'you are a young woman, you haven't had kids, so thank you for the thought, but come back after you've had babies.' Don't get me wrong, my mother wold be over the moon if they said that, she thinks I should wait. And I think I should wait for babies. I'm young, I have lots of time, hubby and I are still getting things sorted, and now is the right time for donation, not for babies.

Getting back to the 'its a go for donation' part, YAY! I am super excited about this and now just need to wait for a match... Gosh... thats one thing I never really thought of, what if they can't find a match? I mean, I don't think that my blood type is that rare or anything like that... and I don't think that I would be so unique that there wouldn't be a match in the entire country. But I never really thought of that.

So where do we go from here? Well, I wait for a match to be found, then I will have a blood test (apparently they need fresh blood) to confirm the match, and although I am sure there will be a few more tests thrown in there, it pretty much goes to booking the surgery, final tests to confirm the match, then the surgery. Pretty simple and straight forward.

For me personally, as soon as a match is confirmed and surgery is booked I am going to start my time off work. Hopefully I will be donating in my current city, but if not I would need to be in the city of donation at least 4 days before (and at least 10 days after). That being said, I am sure there are going to be so many tests and things to do that I won't be able to give my job the attention it deserves, so I will take a few days before medical leave kicks in.

No comments:

Post a Comment