Wednesday, October 27, 2010

24hr what?

*Disclaimer - I know the contents of this post are not of the nicest subject matter, but one of my objectives is to chronicle my entire experience throughout this entire process, and urine tests are a part of that, so they are a part of this.*

24hr Urine Test. Right. Just got a call from my transplant coordinator and although in this center they do renal scans, the center where I will be donating does Urine. Therefor she just faxed me a lab requisition and I will need to do a 24hr collection (which will likely happen on the weekend). They are testing for Creatinine (among other things) apparently.

So my understanding is that I will do a void first thing in the morning, then collect all urine for a 24hr period, stopping at the same time the next day. Hence they advised me to do it on the weekend (so I can keep the collection container in one bathroom). When I go to drop the sample off (or when I pick it up, which ever works) I need to do another urine collection and get a blood test as well (although I think the blood test needs to be at the end of the 24hr period).

The good news is apparently the receiving center has everything else that they need (including some fresh blood from Monday's blood test) and that if all the test results come back clear we are good to go.

So *fingers crossed* that I void well this coming weekend, and the next news item will be that I have flights booked and am headed out of province. Of course, I will continue to keep you all updated on the nitty gritties of the process, but in the meantime, here is a question for you: What is the best/worst experience you have had during a medical test?

No comments:

Post a Comment