Monday, November 1, 2010

Skydiving this Saturday!

I have a list of things to do before I die and every opportunity I try and cross an item off the list. I am always adding item to the list, places I want to go, experiences I want to have; there is an entire airborne section of which I am proud to say that I will be crossing a long-standing item off my list: Skydiving.

Skydiving is something I've wanted to do for a very long time, and for whatever reason I decided that before surgery I wanted to cross something off my list, and the airborne section seemed most attainable. The other option was going on a discovery flight, however the real item on my list is get my pilots license, not just fly a plane. So I decided that skydiving was the way to go as it was an actual item on the list.

So this Saturday at 12noon I will begin the 30minute training before ascending to 9,500 feet where I will do a tandem jump with a 30second freefall. My lovely husband will be waiting in the drop zone (he refuses to be in the plane when I jump), I'm sure praying that I will land safely. I am a bit of a klutz (actually I am so much of a klutz that it has factored into what we look for in a home), so I do understand his fears.

Not gonna lie, I don't think it has sunk in quite yet that I am going to jump out of a plane on Saturday. Right now it just seems like I made an appointment for Saturday, similar to how I would make a hair appointment or something of the like. I am a bit of a chicken, so this is going to be very interesting... its sending shivers up my spine right now.

It's the whole 'live like you were dying' thing, the 'what if' scenarios that haunt me late at night have made me think about the life that I have, the time that I have, and what I want to be doing with it. Surgery is not without its risks (I really need to stop watching Greys Anatomy) and even routine surgery can go wrong. If something happens to me I want to have lived a life I can be proud of, a life where I have seized the day, made something of who I am and the time I have been so fortunate to have.

Thus, this Saturday I skydive. I don't know how I am going to actually do it, but I am going to find a way. And I can't wait to tell you all about it.
Until then, here is a question for you: What's on your list? Completed items? If you had the opportunity to do any 1 thing from your list right now, what would it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment