Monday, November 22, 2010

Pre-Op Day

I am super excited. Made it this far, have my hubby with me (although that almost didn't happen due to a slight mix up with the flights and the reservations), have a place to stay and a jeep to drive around town. Thankfully the wonderful home we are staying in is quite close to the hospital which again makes life just a bit easier.

This lovely winter morning held a 10:30am appointment at the hospital for a few final tests and some pre-op stuff (more on that in just a moment). Of course there was a touch of confusion at admitting as I am out of province and therefore things like health care numbers are treated differently. Add in the fact that I don't have a current health care card in my married name (its been ordered several times and has never arrived) yet the coverage is, and it was a solid 25minutes to get through admitting.

Once that was dealt with off to the Testing Center we went. Spot urine test and a final cross match. Lovely 12 vials of blood (and for some reason unbeknowst to me, she did not use a butterfly and thus each vial managed a touch of pain and increased my hatred of needles). I keep hoping each blood test will be my last, yet I never seem to get that lucky.

From here we went up to the Pre-Op clinic where we watched a video on breathing, coughing, and leg exercises. Was beneficial. Apparently there are risks of pneumonia and whatnot if you don't clear the fluid and secretions (which can pile up if you lay in one position for too long, especially on your back). The video also showed how to support the incisions with a pillow or cushion when coughing. Good to know there is a wrong way to cough. The leg exercises are particularly important too. They help with circulation and post-op mobility. Simple exercises like pointing toes 10 times, making circles with our toes 10 times in each direction, at least once per hour while awake. Thankfully my husband was there and I know that he will take care of me and make sure I do the exercises because knowing me, I won't remember.

From the video we sat and chatted with a Nurse. We went over some specifics regarding the surgery (what to bring to the hospital, what not to bring, ie  bring slippers, leave jewellery or valuables etc), as well as a rather intimate questionnaire. Similar to donating blood, these questions are to ensure that not only am I healthy, but that the recipient is getting a healthy kidney with no surprises. As for the actual procedure, I will arrive at the clinic the morning of the 25th, they will admit me directly and I will  get changed, we will go to a pre-op room where they put me under and insert a catheter. From there into the OR and its a 3-4 hr procedure, a touch longer than if they were doing open surgery. Post-op I go into recovery for about an hour where the nurses will check my vitals and make sure I am good to go. From there I will be moved to my ward and my dear hubby will be allowed to see me. I'll be quite out of it and likely won't remember much.

They will have me up and walking the second day and I'm not to get up without a nurse handy (even if my hubby is there) the first few times. One thing they were quite adamant about its the pain post-op. I will be on a morphine drip and need to make sure that I am regulating my pain as if it goes unchecked or I let it get too bad, then it takes longer for me to come back to a good place. Communication with the nurses is also key. They need to know if something, anything, isn't feeling right. If I'm nauseated, if I hurt, am hot, cold, itchy whatever, I need to be telling the nurses as these may be side effects and we need to deal with them ASAP. Gotcha. Again, my husband was sitting there with me through all of this and rest assured, if I don't tell the nurses, he will. He is pretty worried about me not because he is scared, but because we are each other's world and he doesn't want anything to happen to me. I will be well taken care of, which I love.

If you can't tell, it was a long day at the hospital. From meeting the nurse and going over her checklist, we then met with the transplant coordinator for this center, and went over a few things. The most interesting one was the organ interview. Its a generic interview they have for all different types of donations, including cadaver donations. So my relationship to the organ is 'self'. That one made us smile. Again, a few more intimate questions, but nothing too scary. The interview with her lasted 30minutes or so, then a quick visit with the social worker, more so she had a face for the name and we were done.
At least, we were done at the hospital. The surgeon's office was not in the hospital and our appointment with him was later in the afternoon so a quick bite of lunch and a parking battle later and we got to meet the one who will be cutting me open. Well, not open. 4 'ports' for instruments and 1 incision on the lower left side of the physical extraction. Oh! Totally awesome, as we go to sit at their desk, my MRI is up and I actually get to see my insides, the veins and arteries. Very awesome (I'm a nerd like that). It was a quick visit, but was nice at least seeing this person before surgery. Not seeing them would scare me a bit I think.

Then we were done with the appointments. When we got home it was on the phone to book a flight home for my husband. Thankfully it was pretty easy and we are all taken care of. Returning home on the 30th, together. Then it was time to relax and I must admit it was nice.

So from here I have 2 days off, no appointments no tests, just hang out time in this beautiful city, then Thursday morning is the big day.

That's where we are as of today, and I do hope that if there is anyone that is reading this wanting to know what the experience is like, that this helps. If not, please comment and let me know what you would like to know more about. For those of you who have been through this, if there is anything you would like to add from your personal journey, would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment