Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I wanna go again!

Skydiving was the best! OMG. I loved it!

We got to the dropzone just before noon, and watched an instructional video on safety procedures and how the actual jumping out of the plane was going to work. Pretty simple and straightforward.
There were 2 other tandem jumpers ahead of me, and due to the fact the season officially ended Oct 31st (they were only open this late in the year because the weather was so beautiful), there was only 1 tandem master (TM) and 1 pilot. So I had a bit of a wait, but got to hang out with the other divers and watch a few come down. Its a really small community, everyone seems to know eachother, and they are all super nice. I wasn't scared at all, my poor husband was scared enough for the both of us.

When it was finally my turn I could hardly stand still I was so excited. I put on my jumpsuit, and my TM helped me into my harness. He took me to an old fuselage that had the same setup as the plane we were jumping out of and gave me another quick tutorial on what the procedure was.
He got into the plane and I sat with my back to him, in between his legs. He strapped our hips together before the others got in as it was easier that way.
Two other solo jumpers went up on our load. It was about a 20min. climb to get to 10,000ft, and at about 7,000ft he strapped the rest of me to him nice and tight (and tightened my harness). At 10,000ft the door opened (and all that went through my head was it was a touch colder than I would have preferred) and out the solo jumpers went.
My TM moved over to the door essentially pulling me along with him, and I put my feet on the step that was over the landing gear. He tapped my hand that was holding the plane which was my signal to cross my arms over my chest and look up. Away we went. It was that fast. We did a somersault type thing and I was able to look up at the plane we had just jumped out of. Crazy. Because of the position I was in when we jumped, it was really easy to get into the proper form for the freefall. My arms were out, my body was straight, and my feet were trying to kick my TM's butt. We fell for 5000ft, about 30seconds, and he pulled the chute. It took about 700ft to fully deploy and then we played around doing turns and swings and all other kinds of antics (apparently my TM didn't get to do them with too many people as most were too nauseous). I was just having fun. It was the coolest thing ever!!!
He brought us around to the dropzone and landed us softly. Much to my husbands relief we had made it down safely with no injuries or malfunctions. I'm a bit of klutz, so that was a legitimate fear.

I had the biggest grin on my face and it didn't go away all weekend. It was such a rush and I wasn't scared. I was excited. This was something I have wanted to do for years and I finally did it. There was no way after all that talk and whatnot that I wasn't going to jump. And why be scared? There was an experienced jumper with me, and many redundancies upon redundancies to keep me safe. I was just along for the ride. And what a ride it is.

I know a few people that I have told about my adventure that say they have always wanted to go and have never been able to find anyone to go with, but to them all I say is 'just do it'. Its the crazies experience ever and as much as its fun to do things like this with friends, don't not do it because they aren't it to it. Do it for yourself, because you want to, and because you will never experience anything like it ever again (unless you go again, which I totally plan on). 

So before I sign off, here is a question for you: what have you done from your bucket list? What is the craziest thing you have ever done? Would you ever do it again?

No comments:

Post a Comment