Monday, July 12, 2010

"No! Absolutely not!"

So my mother-in-law knows. Wanna guess what her reaction was?

Needless to say she basically said that she thinks its great that I want to do this, but that I shouldn't. That I was putting my future children at risk, and living with one kidney is a completely different life. Which it isn't.  And there is a greater risk that I will be hit by a bus walking to work than have complications during pregnancy.

Interesting piece of the puzzle... when we were talking about it, my husband asked her if I was donating to my best friend if that would change her reaction. "Absolutely." So she is an example of the issue being that its non-directed.

That continues to boggle my mind. And I guess I'm learning that I don't think the same way a lot of people do, because to me, just because I don't know someone doesn't mean that their life is not worth as much as mine, that its okay for someone else to die because of a 1 in 300,000 chance of complications. To me, I have the ability to do this, and to not do it to me is almost like playing God and deciding who lives and who dies. Each person has the power to save a life, via blood donation, bone marrow transfusion, or even organ donation. The process is albeit time consuming, but it is relatively simple, and it saves a life. Is it not worth taking a few hours and a few weeks out of your life to give someone years to love and be loved? If it were your loved one, nothing is worth more than a life, and so why would that change because I don't know the recipient?

The other question that both mothers have now asked is "do I get to pick who gets my kidney?" Do I get to say only a  child can have it, or a single mother? NO! And I wouldn't want to either.
No, my kidney goes to the next person on the transplant list that I am a match for, regardless of who they are, how old they are, or why they need a kidney. Thats none of my business, and I don't want to know.


Moving on.

Now, all of the people that  need to know, know. Now I just hope and pray that I am able to get my iron up and am approved for donation. I know that I will have all the support I need to get through this.

And of course, I will continue to chronicle my experiences, the tests, the surgery, and the recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment