Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Telling the Other Mother

My husband and I decided that we were far enough along in the process that we should start telling a few people what I was planning. Out of respect for my mother, we decided to tell her first. Which we did.

But now to tell my husband's mother. I love her so dearly, I am very blessed to have such a wonderful relationship with her, and all of my in-laws for that matter. They have really made me a part of the family, and I enjoy a relationship with my mother-in-law outside of interactions with her and my husband.

Yet despite how wonderful the relationship is, I am still nervous about telling her. I get nervous when telling anyone about this. 1, because I am not overly confident that some of the people will be able to keep this to themselves (I'm fairly certain one person I told did not), and 2, because there is still the chance that I will not be able to complete the donation and then I will have to share that news as well. I suppose the 3rd reason is that I am not sure how to deal with this in the instance where I get a negative response.

For whatever reason, I feel as though I would be a failure if I am unable to donate. I am struggling to explain why I would feel that way, so instead of doing a poor job describing it and/or analyzing it, I'm just going to let it be.

The good news is, getting back to telling my mother-in-law, is that I think the 'information distribution' instead of the 'sales job' tactic worked well when I told my mother, and think that I will go down that same path this time round. *fingers crossed* that this will go over well, and that both her and my father-in-law will be there to support my husband and I through the rest of this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment