Monday, July 5, 2010

Now She Knows

So this weekend I told my Mom and Dad about my plans to donate. I was terrified. Nervous. I wanted positive support.

So here's how it went:
My husband and I took my Mom and Dad out to dinner to celebrate their birthday's (which are only weeks apart), and upon returning home, the four of us sat down to play some cards and I got things started.

Me: Mom, I'm thinking of donating a kidney.
Her: Please don't.
 *Crap! Not the response I was looking for.*
But, have no fear, it did get better. The approach I took to this coversation was that I was there to get her thoughts and feelings, and to share information. This was not a sales job. This was information distribution.

So we started talking. She didn't really have a lot of questions for me, but looked as though there were many things she wanted to know. So I volunteered some information, I told her about the tests I had been through, how extensive they are, and what the process has been like thus far.
I also discussed with her the risks. Her main point is that I haven't had children yet, and she was worried about the risks both to me, and to any kids I may have.

Great. That I can handle. So we talked about them fairly extensively. Very happy that I had done my research and was able to provide quantifiable numbers to back up my points. I am very thankful that my husband was there with me. He was able to articulate things in a way that I was having issues with, and between the two of us, we remembered most of the research we've done. Having his support in telling the family was huge, and I think having his support helped my parents be more supportive as well.

Interesting point, Mom didn't seem to care that it was anonymous, her first concern was me. That made me feel pretty good actually, to know that above all she loves me and just wants me to be safe.
She is concerned about pregnancy and how hard it is on the body, and how hard it will be on mine with only one kidney, but with more information I think will be okay. Actually, she said she'd be terrified the entire time as it is major surgery, but that was her job as my mother.


My Dad on the other hand, he didn't say too much about this. His main comment was "you don't mess with Mother Nature." Duly noted.

Thankfully, they both did say that this was not their news to share, and would not be telling anyone else about this. Also, we talked about this on Saturday night, and had a normal Sunday, which was really wonderful. We were able to enjoy the time that we had together and not let this overshadow everything else.
Very glad that this is all done. Well, not all done. Its the In-Laws next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment