Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Living in the What If World

I've been distracted for days. Feeling like I'm out of sorts or not quite present in my activities and interactions. I've been inside my head far more than is healthy.

I keep thinking, well, we don't have kids yet. And does it make me a horrible person to donate before having kids knowing the risks? What if something happens during pregnancy that harms my child? Is it my fault? Am I bad person if I do this?

Living inside my mind for so many days, playing out so many scenarios, has made me spend a few more hours reading stories of other's donations, their experiences, and most of all, their motivation.

Most of the stories I read were short and not overly detailed. Very few were non-directed or anonymous and even less were young women. But one, stood out for me. This post details his experience, and the struggle to balance his own life and make donation as 'easy' as possible with his work and his family while balancing the needs of his sister, the recipient.

The one thing that came clear that really reminded me of what I am doing, is that all of the steps that I go through, all of the tests and procedures I have gone through, those are nothing compared to living on dialysis, diminished quality of life, the thought of dying unless a donor can be found... Another person's life literally hangs in the balance here, and all of everything that I have gone through mean nothing in comparison.

I know that if it was anyone in my life who needed a kidney and I wasn't a match, I would be begging strangers on the street. I would pray that there was someone out there who was young, healthy, and able to donate that would do something like this.

Yes, there are risks. Yes, it is major surgery. No, I haven't had children yet. Yes, we do want children, and do want the very best for them. But I do know that there is a mother, a father, a brother, a sister, a son, a daughter, praying for a kidney, and that they would ask how I could put a (relatively) small risk and minor inconvenience before the value of some one's life.

So when I live in the what-if world, when my mind goes to those places and I lose sight of why I am doing this, all I need to do is picture my life without a loved one in it, someone who would have died when a donation would have saved them, I know that I could never say no, stop.

I am a strong person, I know that I can deal with whatever life throws my way, and having been thrown a lot, I know that whatever comes from this donation will only make me stronger. I am prepared to deal with the risks. The What If World, its just a symptom of my overactive imagination and not the world I choose to live in.

I choose to live my life to the fullest, to create a world I want to live in, to not be afraid of the risks of living. I choose to love my husband, to love my job, to be close to my family, to treasure my friends, and not to be afraid of what the future holds. I love feeling alive, like I am doing something with my life and not merely existing.

No, the What If World is not for me. Its a place I go to every now and then, but not where I choose to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment