Friday, April 30, 2010

Timelines

I called the Transplant Center this morning and spoke with the woman who has been coordinating everything for me thus far. I was looking for information on timelines and a bit more about what to expect.

I am still waiting for my psyc appointment, but that should be in May (apparently the Dr is bringing in another Dr to help with his course load as he is overwhelmed with all the refferals he is getting). The appointments with the nephrologist and the surgeon will follow within about 2 weeks, but right now they dont have an Operating Rooms open until July, so the wait time for surgery is about 3 months. I'm kinda hoping I can get scheduled for July as that still allows me to have the time off work that I need without infringing on our busy time. I know I will have to take as much time as I need to heal, and that with laparoscopic surgery I could be back within 3 weeks, but I need to be back at work, and be back 100%, before September.

My other question was about staying local vs going national. I am not opposed to going where I am most needed, but I think I would prefer to stay at home. Here I have my husband to take care of me, as well as a friend or two. I will have my own bed, and not be racking up a hotel bill. Apparently there is a very high demand for Kidneys, almost 1000, so as long as I am a match I should be able to stay here.

Part of me is still coming to terms with some of the reactions I have been getting, and although they do not have me doubting my decision or anything like that, they have made me wonder why I think so differently than other people that I know? The reactions I'm speaking about are not just ones that I have gotten personally when talking to people about my specific choice, rather from when talking about living organ donation in general. Things to ponder as I get back to my day...

No comments:

Post a Comment