Tuesday, April 27, 2010

One of the reasons why...

http://www.time.com/time/audioslide/0,32187,1983982,00.html
Right now I am hyper-tuned to anything involving organ donation and especially kidneys. I have been reading all about wait times and how Ontario has the lowest rate in the country for registered donors, how in 2008, there were 4,330 people on the waiting list for an organ transplant, 215 people died while waiting for an organ transplant, and various other stories which go to confirm that not many people do what I'm about to do.
There are so many stories out there about our health care system, scary statistics, and tales of woe. Heart warming stories are few and far between, so when I found this story, I wanted to post it as a reminder of why I am doing this.

I know that if it was my husband, I would be pulling people off the streets and begging them to get tested for donation. I would do anything in the world to keep him alive and by my side. We dont have children yet, but if we did it would make it all that more important to keep him alive. Dying due to a lack of organ donation is so horrible because its preventable, and its not really that hard to donate. Yes it takes time, a multitude of tests, and a bit of recovery post-op, but really, 6-10 weeks out of my life to give someone another 15years with their husband/wife/child/mother/father... thats hardly anything in the grand scheme of things.  So seeing this story online this morning just reminded me of why I am doing what I'm doing, and strengthened my resolve to see it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment