Friday, June 25, 2010

Too low to go

On June 16th I ment with the nephrologist (and the rest of the committee) and we talked risks and the gambit. The next day I emailed my transplant coordinator with a signed copy of my Personal Directive, and a note letting her know that my husband and I had talked about the risks and were comfortable moving forward. Then I got the news regarding my low iron. Blah! My iron levels are at an 8, and the acceptable range is 12-31. Thats really low. I'll have a lot of work to do to make sure that I get my iron up. And the transplant cant move forward until I get it up. Meaning the team cannot all come together and decide if I'm fit for donation. Mentally I'm good to go, and physically all my tests have come back looking good, but the only thing is my Iron.
To me, this seemed like a really small thing, but then I did some research, and here's what I found:
"The body needs iron to make hemoglobin, a substance in red blood cells that carries oxygen from the lungs to body tissues. Much of the iron our body is stored in the bone marrow that makes blood cells. When there is not enough iron in the bloodstream, the body uses the bone marrow reserves. If this iron stored in the bone marrow is low, red blood cells do not form properly: they are smaller than usual (microcytosis) and fewer. As a result, less hemoglobin is available to transport oxygen throughout the body."
Also: "Your body needs iron so it can make hemoglobin, a substance in red blood cells that carries oxygen from the lungs to body tissues. Brain activity, breathing, cellular respiration and every activity of the body depends on there being enough iron in the blood."
Note to self: Get iron levels up.  My Transplant Coordinator did say that she has delt with this before and the treatment was IV iron. Eeek. I hate needles, with a passion. But, if thats what it takes, then thats what I'll do.
So today I go to my family doctor to work on this, and will be having all test results sent to the hospital as well to keep them in the loop. Cannot wait to have my iron levels back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment