Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Update

I've been in touch with my Transplant Coordinator recently - they do post-op follow ups including a 24hr Blood Pressure test, additional blood and urine work, and a questionnaire regarding your health. Of course, me being me, I lost the questionnaire part and had to get in touch to get it resent. While I was chatting with my Transplant Coordinator I did inquire as to how the recipient was doing and they are doing very well... my kidney has not been rejected (I'm not sure they would tell me if it was, but it's good to know that it hasn't been) and they have recovered beautifully.

For whatever reason this almost made me cry. I know this person has a family and just knowing that they are not on dialysis and are able to live a normal life again... I feel really good about what I did.

From my end things are going really well. Life is back to normal in pretty much every way. I do make a point to watch what I am eating and to really keep the drinking to a minimum, but other than making those healthy choices life is as it was pre-donation.

The other thing that came out of my conversation with my Transplant Coordinator was that I am looking to get involved in the peer support program. I have been in touch with the Kidney Foundation and will be meeting with the peer support coordinator next time he is in town.

I know there are not a lot of anonymous donors out there (however the number is growing - yay!), and as such, not only have I offered myself to this program, but I will extend the same offer to anyone reading this. If there is anything you would like to know, any question you may have about the tests, the surgery, the post-op, what life is like, please do not hesitate to comment with questions. I promise to answer any question you may have regarding living organ donation. I know I was the first of this type in my city and as such the only support programs out there were based upon directed donations (typically friends or family), as were many of the questions/procedures. Personally, I was hesitant to connect with these other donors as prior to my decision to donate, I had no connection to kidney disease or organ donation and felt this was a major difference in the donation process.

Having gone through it, I know I would have loved to have spoken with another non-directed donor. Hence, my offer to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there;

    I am a potential living donor and I'd love to talk to you via email about your experiences if you are willing. Thanks. laurenator1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    I'm also considering living donation. I read your blog and loved it- it seems we have a lot in common and it feels awesome to know someone like myself has done this successfully. My email is alexandrarowan@hotmail.com, if you have the time I'd love to chat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Road to DonationJune 9, 2011 at 2:34 PM

    Hi!
    Living donation is an amazing thing. Do you have any questions that I can answer for you? How far along with the process are you? Or is it something you would like to know more about before going any further? I'm here to answer any questions you may have.
    Thanks for reading, and for your comment.

    ReplyDelete