Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Hollow Spot

I know its been a while since I've posted in anyway, and I do want to thank you for reading my story.

Living with one kidney is living a normal life. It is now mid-April and the phantom pains are gone (even when I am not being as good as I should be), my scars are fading and for the most part it's not even something that I think of daily.

As life is back to normal, I am going to yoga again and it was there that I had a rather unusual reminder that I only have one kidney - we were lying on our backs with our knees pulled into our chests, our arms wrapped around our knees, rocking gently from side to side. I could feel the difference when I rolled towards my left compared to towards my right. The best way I can think of to describe it is I felt like a weighted egg where one side was heavier (and felt like there was something inside). The other side just felt hollow. It felt weird. It's weird being able to feel it in such a random situation. I mean, it makes sense that I could, but it was surprising as I hadn't expected it and this was the first time I had felt it.


In other news, my left leg has the feeling slowly returning. It had been numb on the top of my thigh between my knee and my hip ever since my surgery, and had scared me quite a bit when I first realized it. After a trip to the ER to make sure everything was okay, we found out it was because of where my incision is, and that it is very normal for any type of abdominal surgery with a side incision. The feeling is slowly coming back, and I expect it will be fully back within 2 months.

Life is pretty much back to normal, and outside of the occasional physical reminder my life has not changed from before my surgery.
I hope that if you are thinking of donating a kidney that you will find this encouraging, and please do leave a comment if you have any questions or concerns regarding life after donation (or the donation process itself).
Many thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment