Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Freedom! Discharge Day

I loved Day 3. First, I had oatmeal with brown sugar for breakfast, which was the closest thing to real food I'd had in days, and second I got out.
Here was my conversation with the surgeon who checked in with me first thing in the morning:
Him: "how are you doing?"
Me: "I would like a shower and I would like to go home, please"
Him: "alight then, we should be able to do that."
He took a look at my chart, saw that I was eating and moving well and got started on the paperwork.

My husband showed up shortly, when and filled the prescription for T3 with codeine for pain management, a nurse  took out my IV, and gave me a shower (I HATED not being able to wash myself - one of the reasons I wanted to go home), I got dressed in some loose fitting yoga pants and a sweater, and away we went.

Home at this point was my friend's house, he had very generously opened his home to us for the duration of our visit, and although there is no place like home, this was so much better than the hospital. 1, I didn't have someone bugging me every 4hrs to take my vitals. 2, I could pee without assistance. 3, I wasn't in a hospital with a room full of other patients, who I understand had their own issues, but at times were very noisy, and those times felt like they were always when I was trying to sleep. 4, I could wash myself (which granted I didn't do until the next day, but even knowing that I could made me so much happier).

Once at home I took 2 T3s and took a much needed nap. The simple activity of showering, walking from my room to the cab and then into the house was a bit much for me. I was exhausted.

This first day of freedom involved a few naps and not much more, even food-wise. I was/am still on mostly soups with some soft solids in them, nothing much more than that. So although the food did get better, we are still limited on what I can/should be eating. Lucky for me my husband is a pretty awesome cook, so when I am able to eat more, I know I'll be in good hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment