Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Donation Day - 4 Dots and a Dash

For whatever reason my husband's post(s) seem to have gotten lost in the abyss of the Internet and thus its taken a few days to get you all the insider information on what it was really like to have the surgery to give a kidney away.

At Home
Thursday morning we wake up pretty early, and by wake up I mean get out of bed, neither of us really slept much, and off I go to take my second anti-bacterial shower. This one leaves my skin feeling a touch itchy as its now a bit on the dry side, but I don't have much time to ponder this.


At the Hospital
We grab my 'overnight' bag, which in hindsight was completely over packed, and head off to the hospital. Upon arrival we do not go through admitting, rather we go straight to the floors as previously directed and they were waiting and ready for us. The nurses direct us into a room where I am told to change. My clothes, jacket and boots all go into clear plastic bags that get labeled with my information, and I put on the garb.

Dressing for Surgery
This was rather interesting as I had only expected a hospital gown and housecoat over top, which I did get, but also got white, thigh-high compression stockings with a hole at the ball of each foot (I'm assuming so they can check circulation). On top of those were hospital slippers, the thin paper ones that are more for sanitary reasons than anything.
Once I was all dressed and ready the surgeon came in to have me sign a few final forms authorizing the procedure, any other necessary life-saving procedures, as well as a possible blood transfusion should the need arise (which they didn't think it would, but just wanted to cover the bases).  Once the forms were all signed we left the stuff that was to go to my room (a nurse would deliver it at some point in the day) and walked to the surgical unit.

Surgical Unit
Here we were taken into a curtained-off area (similar to a ward with lots of beds and only curtains for privacy) where we sat and a few nurses came to introduce themselves and ask a few final questions (most of which they had asked when we first got there, but the duplication was a safety thing, so didn't bother me) - when was the last time I had anything to eat, do I have any allergies etc. The anestelogist introduced himself, as well as a few others on the team. It was about 8am when I said goodbye to my husband and went into the room.
The room had a table in the center that almost looked like a cross- the main part for my body, the cross part for my arms. When I got up on the table I needed to make sure not to lay down on the hospital gown as clearly they would need access to what was underneath it. I'm laid down and they start with the needles. I'm not a fan at all, but apparently the first set of drugs was to relax me, and the second set was to put me to sleep. I was totally okay with both sets. My view from the table was whomever was in the immediate vicinity and two of those large, round OR lights. Not scary, but a little unnerving.I didn't spend a lot of conscious time in this room, so I don't have much more to say about it.

The Surgery
Here's what I do know about what happened in that room and in surgery. Laproscopic surgeries typically tend to be a bit longer than open surgeries as they are working in a confined space, by mine was only 2hrs in and out. I could tell that my surgeon had done this many times before. While I was out, they did put in a catheter, IV, and of course took out my left Kidney (named Earl). During this time my husband was waiting in one of the surgical waiting rooms on the same floor as the one we went to upon arrival that morning; after the surgery was done the surgeon came out and gave him an update as to how it went, which was perfectly.

4 Dots
I have 4 laproscopic sites on my left abs, 1 beside my bellybutton, 1 a bit higher and to the left of my naval, right below my ribs, 1 in line with my bellybutton but almost on the side of my body, and one down from the one below my ribs. They vary from 5mm to 12mm in size (I'm not sure which ones are which to be honest). If I take the heel of my right hand, place it on my stomach near the bellybutton incision, at the tip of my fingers is the one on the far side of my body, at my thumb is the one below my ribs, and at the midpoint on my pinky finger is the lowest dot.  Not a large area, but hopefully that gives you an idea of how they are spread out.

The Dash
The incision, is almost where my left leg joins up with my torso. Almost right on the crease of my leg/body. They do the incision here for cosmetic purposes, its easier to hide the scar. The incision is about the length of my pointer finger, 4inches or so.

Recovery Room
Apparently I was in recovery for about 2 hours, mostly still under anesthetic. I remember the nurse (male) waking me up with a warm washcloth on my face, and being very cold. They grabbed me lots of warm blankets and after what seemed like a few brief minutes of checking my vitals, took me to my room.

My Room
I didn't know most of this when I first got there, but my room was a 4 patient room in the surgical ward (the recipient was in a different ward to help protect anonymity). I was on a morphine drip to help manage the pain, and I had this handy little button, much like what I assume the ones they use on Jeopardy are like, to administer some when I felt the need. It would of course lock me out if I tried to get too much in too short a period of time, but I didn't really notice much of that the first day.

I was feeling pretty happy, I knew it had gone well which is what I wanted, and a little loopy from all the drugs running through my system. All of this I had expected. What I hadn't expected was how distended my abdomen was going to be from the CO2 they pumped into me during surgery. I looked like I was 5 months pregnant. Or at least it felt that way. My entire midsection was pretty tender.

I was on clear fluids as a diet, and still had both the catheter and IV. The catheter served 2 purposes. 1, to monitor my 'output' to make sure there wasn't blood in the urine or anything like that, and 2, there was no way I would be able to get up and pee as often as I would have needed to give how much fluid they were pumping through me via the IV.
Hospital food, not that great. Mind you, I wasn't exactly getting the best selection at this time, and even then could only manage a bit of orange juice and a few sips of vegetable broth.

I spent most of the day on my back, and had to get the nurses to assist me to roll onto my right side the first time as I was that tender. Of course I was still wearing that ever so lovely hospital gown, and thus when I was on my sides during the night, I constantly felt like my butt was hanging out, even when I knew it was covered.

I was so drugged up that day, and stayed pretty consistent with the use of the morphine, that although they woke me up every 4hrs to take my vitals (temperature, blood pressure, pulse, O2 saturation), I was out of it. Not saying that I was sleeping, that didn't happen much at all, but I was pretty out of it.

During the night my blood pressure did drop pretty low, 93/45 or something like that. It happened at the midnight vitals check but they didn't do anything that I could tell, other than to keep a pretty close eye on me. Apparently morphine can lower blood pressure, which combined with my typical blood pressure which was on the lower side of normal, resulted in the drop. Thankfully the next time they roused me to check my vitals it was a bit higher.

My dear husband was by my side all afternoon, having made call to the small group of people who know during my time in the recovery room. From his side, apparently those 'guest' chairs in the hospital rooms are not that comfortable, and the entertainment that we brought was mostly for him as I was too out of it for any of it.

Thus ends DDay.

No comments:

Post a Comment